Friday, February 19, 2010

My great Minnesota adventure

Last week during my trip ro Minnesota I was amazed at the "different" things I saw. There was the ski hill right next to the freeway, snow mobiles and all of the trails across almost every field, the huge icecicles hanging from houses, the little kids paying hockey outside in 5 degree weather- at night no less, and then there were the frozen lakes. What the heck?? The lakes freeze over so much that you can drive on them!! Of course I have seen ice fishing houses on TV and I knew it was possible but I had never seen anything like this in real life. So the manager I was working with decided to take me to a lake for my "great Minnesota adventure". He was so funny, he really played up how dangerous it could be, he made me unbuckle my seatbelt and roll down my window in case we went through the ice. Then he told me a story about one of his friends that had gone through the ice and couldn't roll down his windows. Then once we got on the ice he made me listen for the ice to crack under the car- thank goodness it didnt, I would have peed myself. Trust me, I was more than a little freaked out. If you have never driven on top of a lake it can be a little weird, it's really quiet and a bit unnerving. There were lots of ice fishing houses and several snowmobiles out there cruising around. It was really cool and I am so glad I did it, it's one of those things I may never do again, there aren't a whole lot of frozen lakes in Washington State. My only regret for this trip is that I didn't take my camera, I was constantly regretting it as I saw all of these amazing, different things. Thank goodness for cell phones or I wouldnt even have this picture.

5 comments:

Karyn Norris said...

LOL! Love you story. I am in Ontario Canada and that is all normal to us. Winter is a Wonderland and I LOVE IT. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Although we don't have the snow that some of the states have. I will take more please.

cindy said...

You are a brave girl, I dont know how you all live in that weather!!

Tiffany said...

You are crazy!! I watch Ice Road Truckers and that totally freaks me out! Biggest fear....going into water in a car, frozen water is even worse!

TR said...

That's the North for ya!
Now the question is when are ya moving up here?

cindy said...

Never moving there !! Way too cold. I am flying out to Wisconsin at the end of the month though. Work seems to enjoy sending me into the frozen tundra this year!!